[openstack-dev] Python API of python-.+client

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Jun 8 13:18:53 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-08 10:35:26 +0200 (+0200), Michael Bright wrote:
> On the github page it is written:
> "There's also a complete Python API, but it has not yet been documented."
[...]

I think the README in python-novaclient could probably use a little
updating. There is no official "narrative" documentation I'm aware
of comprehensively covering it, but there is a complete reference
manual at http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-novaclient/ if
that's what you're looking for.

> I ask these questions about python-novaclient, but am also interested in how
> they apply to other OpenStack clients.

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-swiftclient/
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-cinderclient/
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-glanceclient/
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-neutronclient/

et cetera. I agree that the current discoverability of these is not
great and could use improvement, but there is currently work
underway to make http://developer.openstack.org/ more functional in
this regard. There's also another ongoing effort to hopefully help
unify the various Python APIs:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/python-openstackclient/

> * Are people actually using the Python API? If so, is it as
> stable, or more or less stable than the command-line client?
[...]

Sure! For example the OpenStack project developer infrastructure
automation is a consumer of them:

> I'd certainly like to contribute to the documentation if this is
> considered worthwhile ... I'm just surprised that this API seems
> to be unused.
[...]

I'm sure the novaclient and documentation teams would love to have
help improving the status quo. You may also want to post a more
specific offer to help on the openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org
mailing list:

Jeremy Stanley