[openstack-dev] [openstack-tc] use of the word certified

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Fri Jun 6 19:55:51 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 13:29 -0400, Anita Kuno wrote:
> > The issue I have with the word certify is that it requires someone or a
> > group of someones to attest to something. The thing attested to is only
> > as credible as the someone or the group of someones doing the attesting.
> > We have no process, nor do I feel we want to have a process for
> > evaluating the reliability of the somones or groups of someones doing
> > the attesting.
> >
> > I think that having testing in place in line with other programs testing
> > of patches (third party ci) in cinder should be sufficient to address
> > the underlying concern, namely reliability of opensource hooks to
> > proprietary code and/or hardware. I would like the use of the word
> > "certificate" and all its roots to no longer be used in OpenStack
> > programs with regard to testing. This won't happen until we get some
> > discussion and agreement on this, which I would like to have.
>
> Thanks for bringing this up Anita. I agree that "certified driver" or
> similar would suggest something other than I think we mean.

​Can you expand on the above comment?  In other words a bit more about what
"you" mean.  I think from the perspective of a number of people that
participate in Cinder the intent is in fact to say.  Maybe it would help
clear some things up for folks that don't see why this has become a
debatable issue.

By running CI tests successfully that it is in fact a ​way of certifying
that our device and driver is in fact 'certified' to function appropriately
and provide the same level of API and behavioral compatability as the
default components as demonstrated by running CI tests on each submitted
patch.

Personally I believe part of the contesting of the phrases and terms is
partly due to the fact that a number of organizations have their own
"certification" programs and tests.  I think that's great, and they in fact
provide some form of "certification" that a device works in their
environment and to their expectations.

Doing this from a general OpenStack integration perspective doesn't seem
all that different to me.  For the record, my initial response to this was
that I didn't have too much preference on what it was called (verification,
certification etc etc), however there seems to be a large number of people
(not product vendors for what it's worth) that feel differently.