[openstack-dev] [horizon] Help debugging js files

Ana Krivokapic akrivoka at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 15:57:41 UTC 2014

On 06/06/2014 05:39 PM, Abishek Subramanian (absubram) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to make some changes to the horizon.instances.js file and I was
> wondering what the best method would be to help debug issues in this
> file? Is there a debugger or something available to debug this file
> separately?
>
> Thanks!
> Abishek

Hi Abishek,

A couple of debugging tips with regard to Horizon frond-end development:

* Use Chrome's Developer Tools or Firefox's Firebug plugin. They include
very powerful tools including a debugger, a console, the ability to edit
static files on the fly, etc.

* Put COMPRESS_ENABLED = False into your local_settings.py to disable
automatic compression of static files. This will help you see which
files the errors are actually occurring in.

* If you are using devstack or similar for your development environment,
use Django's built-in web server, rather than a full fledged web server
like Apache. It will make your life much easier - you will not have to
run collectstatic after changing static files, you will have the log
output in the console instead of having to dig through log files, etc.

HTH

--
Regards,

Ana Krivokapic