[openstack-dev] [Ironic] handling drivers that will not be third-party tested

Stig Telfer stelfer at cray.com
Fri Jun 6 09:11:57 UTC 2014

Apologies for a late response. I agree, it’s an unfortunate aspect of Ironic’s hardware-focused role in the project that means CI test coverage is hard to achieve.  And it is misleading to present our drivers as continuously tested when they are not.

Nevertheless, I add a +1 in favour of keeping the drivers within Ironic’s tree.  Testing may be only on a best-effort basis, but taking drivers out of tree would result in an Ironic that by default would only support hardware fitting the profile of the test systems, and that could be quite limiting.

Can we combine the segregation of untested/unmaintained/unloved drivers with counterbalancing efforts to promote better testing, maintenance and status on third party drivers?  For example:

-          Promotion of third party CI testing within Ironic

-          Associating a maintainer with each driver

-          On each release cycle compiling a support matrix of driver status, based on data submitted by the driver maintainers, or face relegation from the table

I have seen pages on third party CI and Gerrit’s interface to support this, but I found nothing specific about Ironic driver contributors making use of this.  Is there anyone out there who has done this and can comment on their experience?

Best wishes,
Stig Telfer
Cray