[openstack-dev] [Glance] [TC] Program Mission Statement and the Catalog

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Jun 6 08:00:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 18:03 -0700, Mark Washenberger wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I'd like to propose the Images program to adopt a mission statement
> [1] and then change it to reflect our new aspirations of acting as a
> Catalog that works with artifacts beyond just disk images [2].
>

> Since the Glance mini summit early this year, momentum has been
> building significantly behind catalog effort and I think its time we
> recognize it officially, to ensure further growth can proceed and to
> clarify the interactions the Glance Catalog will have with other
> OpenStack projects.
>

> Please see the linked openstack/governance changes, and provide your
> feedback either in this thread, on the changes themselves, or in the
> next TC meeting when we get a chance to discuss.
>

> Thanks to Georgy Okrokvertskhov for coming up with the new mission
> statement.

Just quoting the proposal here to make the idea slightly more
accessible, perhaps triggering some discussion here:

  https://review.openstack.org/98002

  Artifact Repository Service:
    codename: Glance
    mission:
      To provide services to store, browse, share, distribute, and manage
      artifacts consumable by OpenStack services in a unified manner. An artifact
      is any strongly-typed, versioned collection of document and bulk,
      unstructured data and is immutable once the artifact is published in the
      repository.

Thanks,
Mark.