[openstack-dev] [Keystone] Should Keystone emit notifications by default?

Assaf Muller amuller at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 14:46:55 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

Keystone started emitting notifications [1] for users and tenants being created / updated /
deleted during the Havana cycle. This was in response to bug [2], the fact that OpenStack
doesn't clean up after itself when tenants are deleted. Currently, Keystone does not emit
these notifications by default, and I propose it should. According to the principle of least
surprise, I would imagine that if an admin deleted a tenant he would expect that all of its
resources would be deleted, making the default configuration values in Keystone and the other
projects very important. I wouldn't want to rely on the different deployment tools to change
the needed configuration values.

I was hoping to get some feedback from operators regarding this.

[1] Keystone blueprint - https://blueprints.launchpad.net/keystone/+spec/notifications
[2] Resources not cleaned up bug - https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/967832
[3] Neutron spec - https://review.openstack.org/#/c/98097/

Assaf Muller, Cloud Networking Engineer