[openstack-dev] [FUEL] OpenStack patching and FUEL upgrade follow-up meeting minutes

Vladimir Kuklin vkuklin at mirantis.com
Thu Jun 5 14:27:52 UTC 2014

Hi, fuelers

We had a meeting today to discuss how we gonna meet all the requirements
for OpenStack patching (
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/fuel/+spec/patch-openstack) and FUEL
Upgrade blueprints.
These are the main points:

1. We need strict EOS and EOL rules to decide how many maintenance releases
there will be for each series or our QA team and infrastructure will not
ever be available to digest it.
2. We need to separate versioning for components. We will have several
versions in each release:
a. version of OpenStack we support
b. version of FUEL and all its components
c. each deployed environment will have its own version which will consist
of FUEL library version and OpenStack version
d. Nailgun engine should have versioning of serializers which pass data to
provisioning and deployment engines in order to support backward
compatibilities between FUEL versions (e.g. to add node to 5.0.x
environment from 5.1 FUEL node)
3. We need to clearly specify the restrictions which patching and upgrade
process we support:
a. New environments can only be deployed with the latest version of
OpenStack and FUEL Library supported
b. Old environments can only be updated within the only minor release (e.g.
5.0.1->5.0.2 is allowed, 5.0.1->5.1 is not)
4. We have some devops tasks we need to finish to feel more comfortable in
the future to make testing of patching much easier:
a. we need to finish devops bare metal and distributed enviroments setup to
make CI and testing process easier
b. we need to implement elastic-recheck like feature to analyze our CI
results in order to allow developers to retrigger checks in case of
floating bugs
c. we need to start using more sophisticated scheduler

--
Yours Faithfully,
Vladimir Kuklin,
vkuklin at mirantis.com