[openstack-dev] [neutron] Firewall is ineffective with floating ip?

ZZelle zzelle at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 11:32:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

When the router receives packets from the external network, iptables does
sequentially:
 1) NAT PREROUTING table: translate floatingip to fixed ip
 2) FILTER FORWARD table: apply FW rules ... on fixed ips because
floatingip has been translated to fixed ip

So disabling the ping to the floatingip has no effect, you should instead
disable ping to associated fixed ip.

More generally in (iptables) FW rules, you should use fixed-ips/cidrs as
source/target not floatingips

Cheers,

Cedric