[openstack-dev] [Barbican] KMIP support

Benjamin, Bruce P. Bruce.Benjamin at jhuapl.edu
Wed Jun 4 22:25:04 UTC 2014

>  All,

>  I'm researching a bunch of HSM applications and I'm struggling to find much info. I was wondering about the progress of KMIP support in Barbican? Is this waiting on an open python KMIP support?

Just for a bit more clarification, APL is supporting a KMIP implementation as a backend to Barbican via the following activities:

-          Update to Barbican, called 'Create Secret Store Resource' https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Barbican/Blueprints/create-secret-store, allows many different secret store backend implementations to be supported, including PKCS#11, PKCS#12, and KMIP

-          Backend plug-in interface to Barbican called 'Implement KMIP Secret Store' that specifically supports a KMIP server (HSM) as a backend.  https://github.com/cloudkeep/barbican/wiki/Blueprint:-Implement-KMIP-Secret-Store

-          New Python library, which will probably be called PyKMIP, will support an open source implementation of KMIP client and server (not yet posted - will probably reside in github.)

Bruce