[openstack-dev] [nova] Proposal: Move CPU and memory allocation ratio out of scheduler

Scott Devoid devoid at anl.gov
Wed Jun 4 16:35:41 UTC 2014

> Not only live upgrades but also dynamic reconfiguration.
>
> Overcommitting affects the quality of service delivered to the cloud user.
>  In this situation in particular, as in many situations in general, I think
> we want to enable the service provider to offer multiple qualities of
> service.  That is, enable the cloud provider to offer a selectable level of
> overcommit.  A given instance would be placed in a pool that is dedicated
> to the relevant level of overcommit (or, possibly, a better pool if the
> selected one is currently full).  Ideally the pool sizes would be dynamic.
>  That's the dynamic reconfiguration I mentioned preparing for.

+1 This is exactly the situation I'm in as an operator. You can do
different levels of overcommit with host-aggregates and different flavors,
but this has several drawbacks:

   1. The nature of this is *slightly* exposed to the end-user, through
   extra-specs and the fact that two flavors cannot have the same name. One
   scenario we have is that we want to be able to document our flavor
   names--what each name means, but we want to provide different QoS standards
   for different projects. Since flavor names must be unique, we have to
   create different flavors for different levels of service. *Sometimes you
   do want to lie to your users!*
   2. If I have two pools of nova-compute HVs with different overcommit
   settings, I have to manage the pool sizes manually. Even if I use puppet to
   change the config and flip an instance into a different pool, that requires
   me to restart nova-compute. Not an ideal situation.
   3. If I want to do anything complicated, like 3 overcommit tiers with
   "good", "better", "best" performance and allow the scheduler to pick
   "better" for a "good" instance if the "good" pool is full, this is very
   hard and complicated to do with the current system.

I'm looking forward to seeing this in nova-specs!
~ Scott