[openstack-dev] [Nova] Different tenants can assign the same hostname to different machines without an error

samuel samuel at lsd.ufcg.edu.br
Wed Jun 4 14:01:18 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

Concerning the bug described at [1], where n different machines may have
the same hostname and then n different DNS entries with that hostname
are written; some points have to be discussed with the nova community.

On the bug review [2], Andrew Laski pointed out that we should discuss
about having users getting errors due to the display name they choose.
He thinks that name should be used purely for aesthetic purposes so I
think a better approach to this problem would be to decouple display
name and DNS entries. And display name has never needed to be globally
unique before.

The patch [2] proposes changing the default DNS driver from
'nova.network.noop_dns_driver.NoopDNSDriver' to other that verifies if
DNS entries already exists before adding them, such as the
'nova.network.minidns.MiniDNS'.

What are your thoughts up there?

Sincerely,
Samuel Queiroz