[openstack-dev] [ironic workflow question]

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 13:00:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 20:29 +0800, 严超 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you very much for your reply !
>
> But there are still some questions for me. Now I've come to the step
> where ironic partitions the disk as you replied.
>
> Then, how does ironic copies an image ? I know the image comes from
> glance. But how to know image is really available when reboot?
I don't quite understand your question, what do you mean by "available"?
Anyway, before deploying Ironic downloads image from Glance, caches it
and just copies to a mounted iSCSI partition (using dd or so).

> And, what are the differences between final kernel (ramdisk) and
> original kernel (ramdisk) ?
We have 2 sets of kernel+ramdisk:
1. Deploy k+r: these are used only for deploy process itself to provide
iSCSI volume and call back to Ironic. There's ongoing effort to create
smarted ramdisk, called Ironic Python Agent, but it's WIP.
2. Your k+r as stated in Glance metadata for an image - they will be
used for booting after deployment.