[openstack-dev] [horizon][infra] Plan for the splitting of Horizon into two repositories

Jiri Tomasek jtomasek at redhat.com
Wed Jun 4 11:20:11 UTC 2014

On 05/31/2014 11:13 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2014-05-29 20:55:01 +0000 (+0000), Lyle, David wrote:
> [...]
>> There are several more xstatic packages that horizon will pull in that are
>> maintained outside openstack. The packages added are only those that did
>> not have existing xstatic packages. These packages will be updated very
>> sparingly, only when updating say bootstrap or jquery versions.
> [...]
>
> I'll admit that my Web development expertise is probably almost 20
> years stale at this point, so forgive me if this is a silly
> question: what is the reasoning against working with the upstreams
> who do not yet distribute needed Javascript library packages to help
> them participate in the distribution channels you need? This strikes
> me as similar to forking a Python library which doesn't publish to
> PyPI, just so you can publish it to PyPI. When some of these
> dependencies begin to publish xstatic packages themselves, do the
> equivalent repositories in Gerrit get decommissioned at that point?
Standard way to publish javascript libraries these days is publish
minified javascript file/s (usually in "dist" part of repository) and
standard way to include it in the project is to use nodejs tools such as
Bower to list the js dependencies and have them installed automatically.

In our case it is more convinient to use xstatic packages, which we have
to create if someone hasn't done it already. I think it might happen,
that some of 'our' packages might turn into the official ones.

Jirka