[openstack-dev] [horizon][infra] Plan for the splitting of Horizon into two repositories

Radomir Dopieralski openstack at sheep.art.pl
Tue Jun 3 05:56:57 UTC 2014

On 05/31/2014 11:13 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2014-05-29 20:55:01 +0000 (+0000), Lyle, David wrote:
> [...]
>> There are several more xstatic packages that horizon will pull in that are
>> maintained outside openstack. The packages added are only those that did
>> not have existing xstatic packages. These packages will be updated very
>> sparingly, only when updating say bootstrap or jquery versions.
> [...]
>
> I'll admit that my Web development expertise is probably almost 20
> years stale at this point, so forgive me if this is a silly
> question: what is the reasoning against working with the upstreams
> who do not yet distribute needed Javascript library packages to help
> them participate in the distribution channels you need?

There is nothing stopping us from doing that. On the other hand,
I don't expect much success with that. Those are JavaScript and/or
style/resources libraries, and the authors usually don't know or
care about python packaging. Some of those libraries don't even have
proper releases or versioning! We can reach out and ask them to
include the packages in their releases (where they have them), but
we need the packages now -- we are already using those libraries and
we need to clean up how we bundle them.

> This strikes
> me as similar to forking a Python library which doesn't publish to
> PyPI, just so you can publish it to PyPI.

There is no fork, as we are not modifying the source code.

> When some of these
> dependencies begin to publish xstatic packages themselves, do the
> equivalent repositories in Gerrit get decommissioned at that point?

Yes, we will hand over the keys to the pypi entries, and get rid of the
repositories on our side.
--
Radomir Dopieralski