[openstack-dev] [all] HTTP REST API error status code for out of quota errors

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 00:21:12 UTC 2014

Hi,

There's been a few patches like this floating around recently which fix the
incorrect use of 413 as the http error code when a request fails because of
the requestor is out of quota.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/95671/

Now 413 is definitely wrong, but sometimes the change is made to 400 or
403. Having had a look around at different REST APIs (non openstack) out
there, 403 does seem to be the most popular choice.

Its not totally clear from the rfc (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt)
what it should be, but 403 to me does seem to the most appropriate, and
whilst its not a big thing I think we should at least be consistent about
this across all our openstack REST APIs.

Anyone have any objections to this?

Regards,

Chris