[openstack-dev] [nova] nova default quotas

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:53:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
> wrote:

> On 5/27/2014 4:44 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>
>> I’m not sure that this is the right approach. We really have to add the
>> old extension back for compatibility, so it might be best to simply keep
>> that extension instead of adding a new way to do it.
>>
>> Vish
>>
>> On May 27, 2014, at 1:31 PM, Cazzolato, Sergio J <
>> sergio.j.cazzolato at intel.com> wrote:
>>
>>  I have created a blueprint to add this functionality to nova.
>>>
>>> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/94519/

I don't think we want a full revert here, the feature that we broke is the
ability to easily update the default quota values without restarting any
services, not quota-classes themselves. Given that I see 3 paths forward:

1. Provide an alternate way to do this. OpenStack already has an implicit
assumption that one has a way of rolling out config files across all
machines. so we can teach oslo.config to know which config options can be
updated without a restart.  While this definitely breaks the API, this is a
rarely used API and we can avoid breaking functionality at least.
2. Do a partial revert of this API to only support overriding the default
quota values. Hopefully while doing this we can simplify the quota logic
and reduce the number of DB calls needed. This way we can restore the
working part of the API and not the unimplemented quota-class logic itself.
3. Do a full revert and re-add all the unimplemented quota-class logic, we
now have just re-added a non-working API.

While I would prefer to take path 1 as I think that gets us closer to where
we should be, I think path 2 is safer approach.