[openstack-dev] [Marconi] Adopt Spec

Kurt Griffiths kurt.griffiths at rackspace.com
Mon Jun 2 17:33:45 UTC 2014

I’ve been in roles where enormous amounts of time were spent on writing specs, and in roles where specs where non-existent. Like most things, I’ve become convinced that success lies in moderation between the two extremes.

I think it would make sense for big specs, but I want to be careful we use it judiciously so that we don’t simply apply more process for the sake of more process. It is tempting to spend too much time recording every little detail in a spec, when that time could be better spent in regular communication between team members and with customers, and on iterating the code (short iterations between demo/testing, so you ensure you are on staying on track and can address design problems early, often).

IMO, specs are best used more as summaries, containing useful big-picture ideas, diagrams, and specific “memory pegs” to help us remember what was discussed and decided, and calling out specific “promises” for future conversations where certain design points are TBD.