[openstack-dev] [horizon][infra] Plan for the splitting of Horizon into two repositories

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Mon Jun 2 13:55:20 UTC 2014

On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 09:13:35PM +0000, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> I'll admit that my Web development expertise is probably almost 20
> years stale at this point, so forgive me if this is a silly
> question: what is the reasoning against working with the upstreams
> who do not yet distribute needed Javascript library packages to help
> them participate in the distribution channels you need? This strikes
> me as similar to forking a Python library which doesn't publish to
> PyPI, just so you can publish it to PyPI. When some of these
> dependencies begin to publish xstatic packages themselves, do the
> equivalent repositories in Gerrit get decommissioned at that point?

we need those libraries installable or provided as a python package.
Using xstatic solves this for us in a very nice way.

I must admit, I'd prefer those (javascript) libraries installable as
(rpm) packages, but that makes it even more complicated e.g gate. It
seems, many folks here try to avoid distro packages at all.
--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com>