[openstack-dev] Your suggestions in the BP

Samuel Bercovici SamuelB at Radware.com
Sun Jun 1 07:18:41 UTC 2014

Hi Brandon Eugene and Everyone,

Eugene, please comment on the migration process bellow.

I think that closing down the "status" handling should be done in phase 1.
Missing to do so, will create tests and other depending workflows that assume the "current" status field, which will add  a technology debt to this new code.

Migration and co-existence:
I think that it would be better to have the new object model and API done in a way that does not "break" existing code, and then switch the "old" api to redirect to the "new" api.
This might be done in one of the two ways bellow:
1. Rename all objects in the "new" api so you have a clear demarcation point. This might be sufficient.
2. Copy the existing LBaaS "extension" and create a "new-lbaas" extension with new object names, then create a "new old lbaas" extension that has the "old API" but redirect to the "new API"

Doing 2, can allow "co-existence" of old code with old drivers until new code with new drivers can take its place.

Regards,
	-Sam.