[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] Compute agent local VM inspector - potential enhancement

boden boden at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jul 31 15:54:37 UTC 2014

Disclaimer: I'm not fully vested on ceilometer internals, so bear with me.

For consumers wanting to leverage ceilometer as a telemetry service atop
non-OpenStack Clouds or infrastructure they don't own, some edge cases
crop up. Most notably the consumer may not have access to the hypervisor
host and therefore cannot leverage the ceilometer compute agent on a per
host basis.

In such scenarios it's my understanding the main option is to employ the
central agent to poll measurements from the monitored resources (VMs,
etc.). However this approach requires Cloud APIs (or other mechanisms)
which allow the polling impl to obtain the desired measurements (VM
memory, CPU, net stats, etc.) and moreover the polling approach has it's
own set of pros / cons from a arch / topology perspective.

The other potential option is to setup the ceilometer compute agent
within the VM and have each VM publish measurements to the collector --
a local VM agent / inspector if you will. With respect to this local VM
agent approach:
(a) I haven't seen this documented to date; is there any desire / reqs
to support this topology?
(b) If yes to #a, I whipped up a crude PoC here:
http://tinyurl.com/pqjgotv  Are folks willing to consider a BP for this
approach?

Thank you