[openstack-dev] [ceilometer] [swift] Improving ceilometer.objectstore.swift_middleware

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Thu Jul 31 08:06:16 UTC 2014

> Swift is already emitting those numbers[1] in statsd format; could
> ceilometer consume those metrics and convert them to whatever
> notification format it uses?

The problem with that approach, IIUC, is that the statsd metrics
provide insufficient context.

Ceilometer wants to meter usage on a per-user & per-tenant basis,
so captures[1] the http-x-user-id and http-x-tenant-id headers from
the incoming request for this purpose.

Similarly, the resource-id is fabricated from the swift account.

I don't think this supporting contextual info would be available
from raw statsd metrics, or?

Cheers,
Eoghan

[1] https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/ceilometer/objectstore/swift_middleware.py#L168