[openstack-dev] [nova] so what do i do about libvirt-python if i'm on precise?

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Jul 30 22:34:16 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014, at 03:23 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2014-07-30 13:21:10 -0700 (-0700), Joe Gordon wrote:
> > While forcing people to move to a newer version of libvirt is
> > doable on most environments, do we want to do that now? What is
> > the benefit of doing so?
> [...]
>
> The only dog I have in this fight is that using the split-out
> libvirt-python on PyPI means we finally get to run Nova unit tests
> in virtualenvs which aren't built with system-site-packages enabled.
> It's been a long-running headache which I'd like to see eradicated
> everywhere we can. I understand though if we have to go about it
> more slowly, I'm just excited to see it finally within our grasp.
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

We aren't quite forcing people to move to newer versions. Only those
installing nova test-requirements need newer libvirt. This does not
include people using eg devstack. I think it is reasonable to expect
people testing tip of nova master to have a reasonably newish test bed
to test it (its not like the Infra team moves at a really fast pace :)
).

Avoiding system site packages in virtualenvs is a huge win particularly
for consistency of test results. It avoids pollution of site packages
that can happen differently across test machines. This particular type
of inconsistency has been the cause of the previously mentioned
headaches.

Clark