[openstack-dev] [nova] so what do i do about libvirt-python if i'm on precise?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jul 30 19:11:08 UTC 2014

On 7/30/2014 11:49 AM, Joe Gordon wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 6:43 AM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com
> <mailto:berrange at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 06:39:56AM -0700, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>      > This change:
>      >
>      > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/105501/
>      >
>      > Tries to pull in libvirt-python >= 1.2.5 for testing.
>      >
>      > I'm on Ubuntu Precise for development which has libvirt 0.9.8.
>      >
>      > The latest libvirt-python appears to require libvirt >= 0.9.11.
>      >
>      > So do I have to move to Trusty?
>
>     You can use the CloudArchive repository to get newer libvirt and
>     qemu packages for Precise, which is what anyone deploying the
>     Ubuntu provided OpenStack packages would be doing.
>

> I am not a fan of this approach the patch above along with [0], broke
> Minesweeper [1] and Matt, I am worried that we will be breaking other
> folks as well. I don't think we should force folks to upgrade to a newer
> version of libvirt just to do some code cleanup. I think we should
> revert these patches.
>
> "Increase the min required libvirt version to 0.9.11 since
>

> we require that for libvirt-python from PyPI to build
> successfully. Kill off the legacy CPU model configuration
> and legacy OpenVSwitch setup code paths only required by
> libvirt < 0.9.11"

> [1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/041457.html
>

>     Regards,
>     Daniel
>     --
>     |: http://berrange.com      -o-
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/dberrange/ :|
>     |: http://libvirt.org              -o- http://virt-manager.org :|
>     |: http://autobuild.org       -o- http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
>     |: http://entangle-photo.org       -o- http://live.gnome.org/gtk-vnc :|

So https://review.openstack.org/#/c/58494/ is new to me as of today.

The 0.9.8 on ubuntu precise broke me (and our internal CI system which
is running against precise images, but that's internal so meh).  The
gate is running against ubuntu trusty and I have a way forward on
getting updated libvirt in ubuntu precise (with updated docs on how
others can as well), which is a short-term fix until I move my dev
environment to ubuntu trusty.

My bigger concern here was how this impacts RHEL 6.5 which I'm running
Juno on, but looks like that has libvirt 0.10.2 so I'm good.

Matt Riedemann