[openstack-dev] [heat] [Solum] Stack update and raw_template backup

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Jul 30 17:17:46 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Anant Patil's message of 2014-07-29 23:21:05 -0700:
> On 28-Jul-14 22:37, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2014-07-28 07:25:24 -0700:
> >>
> >> If there's a demand for that feature we could implement it, but it
> >> doesn't easily fall out of the current implementation any more.
> >
> > We are never going to do it even 1/10th as well as git. In fact we won't
> > even do it 1/0th as well as CVS.

> Zane,
> I am working the defect you had filed, which would clean up backup stack
> along with the resources, templates and other data.
>
> However, I simply don't want to delete the templates for the same reason
> as we don't hard-delete the stack. Anyone who deploys a stack and
> updates it over time would want to view the the updates in the templates
> for debugging or auditing reasons. It is not fair to assume that every
> user has a VCS with him to store the templates. It is kind of
> inconvenience for me to not have the ability to view my updates in
> templates.

Sounds like a "nice to have" feature. I'd suggest you propose it as a
blueprint and spec. I will personally be against us spending time and
adding complexity for such a feature when it is so much better served
by VCS.

And I would also suggest that we _can_ assume that users have VCS. When
is the last time you encountered a developer or ops professional that
did not use at least some kind of VCS? For me, it was 2003, and it took
approximately 20 minutes to implement.

And if we want that "as a service", I believe Solum is working on
doing that.