[openstack-dev] [nova] bp/pxe boot

Angelo Matarazzo angelo.matarazzo at dektech.com.au
Wed Jul 30 16:37:31 UTC 2014

Hi folks,
I would add the pxe boot capability to Nova/libvirt and Horizon too.
Currently, compute instances must be booted from images (or snapshots)
stored in Glance or volumes stored in Cinder.
Our idea (as you can find below) is already described there [1] [2] and
"aims to provide a design for booting compute instances from a PXE boot
server, i.e. bypassing the image/snapshot/volume requirement."
There is already  a open blueprint but I would want to register a new
one because it has no update since 2013.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-empty-vm-boot-pxe
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-empty-vm-boot-pxe>
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Blueprints/pxe-boot-instance
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Nova/Blueprints/pxe-boot-instance>