[openstack-dev] [nova] stable branches & failure to handle review backlog

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Wed Jul 30 14:15:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> Russell Bryant wrote:
>> On 07/29/2014 12:12 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> Sure there was some debate about what criteria were desired acceptance
>>> when stable trees were started. Once the criteria are defined I don't
>>> think it is credible to say that people are incapable of following the
>>> rules. In the unlikely event that people were to willfully ignore the
>>> agreed upon rules for stable tree, then I'd not trust them to be part
>>> of a core team working on any branch at all. With responsibility comes
>>> trust and an acceptance to follow the agreed upon processes.
>>
>> I agree with this.  If we can't trust someone on *-core to follow the
>> stable criteria, then they shouldn't be on *-core in the first place.
>> Further, if we can't trust the combination of *two* people from *-core
>> to approve a stable backport, then we're really in trouble.
>
> There are a few different facets on this issue.
>
> The first facet is a community aspect. Stable branch maintenance is a
> task separate from upstream development, ideally performed by the people
> that have a direct interest in having good, maintained stable branches
> (downstream distribution packagers). Now, if *all PTLs* are fine with
> adding stable branch maintenance to the tasks of their core reviewers
> (in addition to specs and master branch review), then I guess we can
> abandon that concept of separate tasks. But I wasn't under the
> impression the core population was looking forward to add extra duties
> to their current workload.

Speaking as a PTL, I don't think adding all core team members for
projects as stable maintainers would be a good thing. As pointed out
already in this thread, the task of code reviews for stable is much
different than that of code review for master. Having a more focused
group of stable reviewers is likely a better solution than adding a
large group of reviewers focused on upstream work. Also, as Sean
pointed out in a followup email here, we have a process for people to
propose themselves to stable maintenance [1]. Perhaps we need to
publicize that a bit more to get more people who can actively help in
the stable reviews to join the team.

Thanks,
Kyle

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StableBranch#Joining_the_Team