[openstack-dev] [heat] Saving the original raw template in the DB

Ton Ngo ton at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 29 20:53:12 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,
    The raw template saved in the DB used to be the original template that
a user submits.  With the recent fix for stack update, it now reflects the
template that is actually deployed, so it may be different from the
original template because some resources may fail to deploy.  I would like
to solicit some feedback on saving the original template in the DB
separately from the deployed template.  I can think of two use cases for
retrieving the original template:
   Debugging:  running stack-update using the same template after fixing
   environmental problems.  The CLI and API can be extended to allow
   reusing the original template without having to provide it again.
   Convergence or retry:  some initial resource deployment may fail
   intermittently, but the user can retry later.

     Are there other potential use cases?    The cost would be an extra
copy of the template in the raw template table for each stack if there is
failure, and a new column in the stack table to hold the id.  We can argue
that the user should have the original template to resubmit, but it seems
useful and convenient to save it in the DB.
Ton Ngo,