[openstack-dev] [NFV][CI][third-party] The plan to bring up Snabb NFV CI for Juno-3

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 15:21:33 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Luke Gorrie" <luke at snabb.co>
>
> Greetings fellow NFV'stas!
>
> I would like to explain and solicit feedback on our plan to support a new
> open source NFV system in Juno. This work is approved as
> low-priority/best-effort for Juno-3. (Yes, we do understand that we are
> fighting the odds in terms of the Juno schedule.)
>
> We are developing a practical open source NFV implementation for OpenStack.
> This is for people who want to run tens of millions of packets per second
> through Virtio-net on each compute node. The work involves contributing
> code upstream to a dependent chain of projects:
>
> snabbswitch -> QEMU -> Libvirt -> Nova -> Neutron

Hi Luke,

I've added the [third-party] tag as well to ensure this catches the broadest segment of relevant people. Probably a stupid question from me - are any modifications to upstream Open vSwitch required to support Snabb?

Thanks,

Steve

> Recently we had a breakthrough: QEMU upstream merged the vhost-user feature
> that we developed and this convinced the kind maintainers of Libvirt, Nova,
> and Neutron to let us target code to them in parallel. Now Libvirt has
> accepted our code upstream too and the last pieces are Nova and Neutron.
> (Then we can start work on Version 2.)
>
> Previously our upstreaming effort has been obstructed: people
> understandably wanted to see our QEMU code accepted before they would take
> us seriously. So it is an exciting time for us and our upstreaming work.
>
> Just now we have ramped up our OpenStack development effort in response to
> getting approved for Juno-3. Michele Paolino has joined in: he is
> experienced with Libvirt and is the one who upstreamed our code there.
> Nikolay Nikolaev is joining in too: he did the bulk of the development on
> vhost-user and the upstreaming of it into QEMU.
>
> Here is what the three of us are working on for Juno-3:
>
> * VIF_VHOSTUSER support in Nova.
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vif-vhostuser
>
> * Snabb NFV mech driver for Neutron.
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/snabb-nfv-mech-driver
>
> * NFV CI: OpenStack 3rd party CI that covers our entire software ecosystem
> (snabbswitch + QEMU + Libvirt + Nova + Neutron).
>
> We are already getting great support from the community. Thank you
> everybody for that, and meta-thankyou to the people who setup the NFV
> subgroup which has been a fantastic enabler. For the code changes, the ball
> is in our court now to get them into shape in time. For the CI, I think
> it's worth having a discussion to make sure we are on the same page and
> have the same expectations.

Have you already attempted to solicit some core reviewers in Nova and Neutron with an

> Here is how I visualize our ideal NFV CI for Juno:
>
> * Run Tempest tests for Nova and Neutron.
> * Test with the relevant versions of Libvirt, QEMU, and snabbswitch.
> * Test with NFV-oriented features that are upstream in OpenStack.
> * Test with NFV-oriented changes that are not yet upstream e.g. Neutron QoS
> API.
> * Operate reliably with a strong track record.
> * Be easy for other people to replicate if they want to run their own NFV
> CI.
>
> This CI should then provide assurance for us that our whole ecosystem is
> running compatibly, for OpenStack that the code going upstream is
> continuously tested, and for end users that the software they plan to
> deploy works (either based on our tests, if they are deploying the same
> software that we use, or based on their own tests if they want to operate a
> customised CI).
>
> How does this CI idea sound to the community and to others who are
> interested in related NFV-oriented features?
>
> That was quite a brain-dump... we have been working on this for quite some
> time but mostly on the parts outside of the OpenStack tree until now.
>
> For more information about our open source NFV project you can read the
> humble home page: http://snabb.co/nfv.html
>
> and if you want to talk nuts and bolts you can find us on Github:
> https://github.com/SnabbCo/snabbswitch
>
> and Google Groups:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/snabb-devel
>
> We are independent open source developers and we are working to support
> Deutsche Telekom's TeraStream NFV project.
>
> Cheers!
> -Luke

Steve Gordon, RHCE
Sr. Technical Product Manager,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform