[openstack-dev] [Nova] Boot from ISO feature status

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Tue Jul 29 15:21:18 UTC 2014

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 09:30:24AM -0700, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>> I think we should discuss adding/changing this functionality. I have had
>> many new users assume that booting from an iso image would give them a
>> root drive which they could snapshot. I was hoping that the new block
>> device mapping code would allow something like this, but unfortunately
>> there isn’t a way to do it there either. You can boot a flavor with an
>> ephemeral drive, but there is no command to snapshot secondary drives.
>
> The new block device mapping code is intended to ultimately allow any
> disk configuration you can imagine, so if a desirable setup with CDROM
> vs disks does not work, do file a bug about this because we should
> definitely address it.

There is a blueprint for this - and it would also provide what Vish
mentioned elsewhere on the thread (having a root drive that you can
snapshot) [1]. Sadly - I never found the time to start this work,
although there seems to be interested people from time to time - no one
has picked it up either (hint, hint).

If someone does - I'll be super happy to review it!

N.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/libvirt-image-to-local-bdm