[openstack-dev] [Neutron] nova-network as ML2 mechanism?

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Tue Jul 29 15:12:33 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Would making an nova-network mechanism driver for the ml2 plugin be possible?

I'm an operator not a developer so apologies if this has been
discussed and is either planned or impossible, but a quick web search
didn't hit anything.

As an operator I would envision this a a transition mechanism, which
AFAIK is still lacking, between nova network and neutron.

If a DB transition scrip similar to the ovs->ml2 conversion could be
created, operator could transition their controller/network-nodes to
neutron while initially leaving the compute nodes with active
nova-network configs active.  It's a much simpler matter for most
operators I think to then do rolling upgrades of compute hosts to
proper neutron agents either by live migrating existing VMs or simply
through attrition.  And this would preserve continuity of VMs through
the upgrade (these may be cattle but you still don't want to slaughter
all  of them at once!)

This is no longer my use case as I jumped into neutron with Grizzly,
but having just transitioned to Icehouse and ML2, it got me to
thinking.  If this sounds feasible from a development standpoint I'd
recommend taking the discussion to the operators list to see if others
share my opinion before doing major work in that direction.

Just a thought,
-Jon