[openstack-dev] Thoughts on the patch test failure rate and moving forward

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Mon Jul 28 19:23:29 UTC 2014

> Sean Dague wrote:
>
> To be clear, the functional tests will not be Tempest tests. This is a
> different class of testing, it's really another tox target that needs a
> devstack to run. A really good initial transition would be things like
> the CLI testing.
>
> Also, the Tempest team has gone out of it's way to tell people it's not
> a stable interface, and don't do that. Contributions to help make parts
> of Tempest into a stable library would be appreciated.

Well, in a perfect world, this "libification" of the re-usable bits from
Tempest would be nicely advanced *before* the projects all rush in to
implement their own in-tree functional testing mechanisms.

But as we know, we all live in a highly imperfect world ...

So do we expect the tempest-lib to be fleshed out in an emergent fashion,
as the projects dig into implementing their own in-tree func tests?

Or is it seen as an upfront seeding process, that the QA team members with
Tempest domain knowledge are expecting to drive?

Cheers,
Eoghan