[openstack-dev] [Trove] Dynamic extension loading using stevedore -- BP ready for review

Denis Makogon dmakogon at mirantis.com
Mon Jul 28 15:49:29 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM, boden <boden at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On 7/28/2014 8:40 AM, Denis Makogon wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM, boden <boden at linux.vnet.ibm.com
>> <mailto:boden at linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Gents,
>>     As we discussed at the BP meeting on July 14 - I've created a new BP
>>     and BP wiki to outline the dynamic extension loading using stevedore.
>>
>>     BP:
>>     https://blueprints.launchpad.__net/trove/+spec/dynamic-__
>> extension-loading
>>     <https://blueprints.launchpad.net/trove/+spec/dynamic-
>> extension-loading>
>>     Wiki:
>>     https://wiki.openstack.org/__wiki/Trove/__DynamicExtensionLoading
>>     <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Trove/DynamicExtensionLoading>
>>     PoC code:
>>     https://github.com/bodenr/__trove/commit/__
>> fa06e1d96e6a49a2a54057e8feb8e6__24edeaf728
>>
>>     <https://github.com/bodenr/trove/commit/
>> fa06e1d96e6a49a2a54057e8feb8e624edeaf728>
>>
>>     I've also added this to the agenda for the next BP meeting:
>>     https://wiki.openstack.org/__wiki/Meetings/TroveBPMeeting
>>
>>     <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TroveBPMeeting>
>>
>>     Please feel free to add comments to wiki or via email / IRC
>>     (@boden); otherwise we can sync-up on Monday's BP meeting.
>>

>> The only strong concern i feel about refactoring API Extension is about
>> deprecation of all of this in K release. Trove _already_ uses lagacy
>> code which is not maintainable. Because WSGI ReST framework was dropped
>> off from oslo-incubator(during IceHouse release) and Trove will migrate
>> into Pecan before K2.
>>
>> So, i'd like to freeze all refactoring/re-implementation around lagacy
>> WSGI code until Pecan support implementation will land.
>>

> You are implying that Pecan will introduce a new way to discover and load
> extensions? Admittedly I'm not up to speed on Pecan yet, thus any refs you
> can provide are appreciated.

I wasn't able to find something about extension management at Pecan docs
(see http://pecan.readthedocs.org/en/latest/). I'm just saying that
everything that would possibly be done aroung deprecated code will be
eliminated once "K" branch would be opened for development. That's why i'd
not suggest to work around extension (they was deprecated, see
https://gist.github.com/denismakogon/a7ce440297ebe2ec65ae).

Actually i would suggest to talk about Pecan migration, instead of proposed
BP.