[openstack-dev] [Neutron][LBaaS] Status and Expectations for Juno

Doug Wiegley dougw at a10networks.com
Mon Jul 28 13:02:45 UTC 2014

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for bringing this up. If you¹re going to call me out by name, I
guess I have to respond to the Horizon thing.  Yes, I don¹t like it, from
a user perspective.  We promise a bunch of new features, new driversŠ and
none of them are visible.  Or the horizon support does land, and suddenly
the user goes from a provider list of 5 to 2.  Sucks if you were using one
of the others.  Anyway, back to a project status.  To summarize, listed by
feature, priority, status:

LBaaS V2 API,   high, reviews in gerrit
Ref driver,     high, removed agent, review in gerrit
CLI V2,         high, not yet in review
Devstack,       high, not started
+TLS,           medium, lots done in parallel
+L7,            medium, not started
Shim V1 -> V2,  low, minimally complete
Horizon V2,     low, not started
ref agent,      low, not started
Drivers,        low, one vendor driver in review, several in progress

And with a review submission freeze of August 21st.  Let¹s work backwards:

Dependent stuff will need at least two weeks to respond to the final
changes and submit.  That¹d be:

Devstack,       high, not started
+TLS,           medium, lots done in parallel
+L7,            medium, not started
Shim V1 -> V2,  low, minimally complete
Horizon V2,     low, not started
ref agent,      low, not started
Drivers,        low, one vendor driver in review, several in progress

Š I¹m not including TLS, since it¹s work has been very parallel so far,
even though logically it should be there.  But that would mean the
following should be ³done² and merged by August 7th:

LBaaS V2 API,   high, reviews in gerrit
Ref driver,     high, removed agent, review in gerrit
CLI V2,         high, not yet in review

Š that¹s a week and a half, for a big pile of new code.  At the current
change velocity, I have my doubts.  And if that slips, the rest starts to
look very very hazy.  Backing up, and focusing on the user, here¹s lbaas
v1:

- Current object model, basic http lb
- Ref driver with agent, +3 vendors (with +3 more backends not submitting
drivers because of v2)
- UI

Š what we initially planned for Juno:

- Shiny new object model (base for some new features)
- TLS termination/offload
- L7 routing
- Ref driver with agent, support old drivers, support new drivers
- UI, new and improved

Š what we¹re now thinking of shipping:

- Shiny new object model (base for some new features)
- TLS termination/offload
- Ref driver no agent, between 0-2 vendor drivers
- No UI

So people get one new feature, a reference backend that is even less
production ready, no UI, and fewer providers. That seems like a step
backwards from a user perspective (at least from the non-huge operator
with a custom UI and custom driver perspective), not forward. And that
implies we need to rethink two decisions:

- Having the V2 lbaas stuff be the default service extension/plugin
- Not supporting or reviewing new v1 drivers

I think that we either need to deliver a more complete feature set, or
admit this thing needs to be experimental/not the default, and give a
little more attention to giving support to the default.

Thanks,
doug