[openstack-dev] [neutron] [not-only-neutron] How to Contribute upstream in OpenStack Neutron

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Jul 28 08:51:07 UTC 2014

Luke Gorrie a écrit :
> Here are some other topics that seem to take some time to develop a mental
> model of:
>
> How quickly and how often should you revise your patchset after a -1? (Is
> it better to give the community a week or so to collectively comment? Or
> should you revise ASAP after every negative review?)
>
> How do you know if your change is likely to merge? (If you have had 15
> rounds of -1 votes and the last milestone deadline is a few days away,
> should you relax because your code is so thoroughly reviewed or should you
> despair because it should have been merged by now?)
>
> In the final days before a merge deadline, would it be rude to "poke" the
> person responsible for merging, or would it be negligent not to?
>
> How do you decide which IRC meetings to attend? (For meetings that occur at
> difficult times outside of working hours in your timezone, when are you
> expected to attend them? Is it okay to focus on email/informal
> communication if that suits you better and gets the job done?)
>
> If you're new to the project and you don't know anybody, who can you ask
> about this stuff?

This is a great set of questions. When we have answers, we should
consolidate them into a "contributors expectations" wiki page (in the
same vein as the ML Etiquette one[1] or the Reviewers expectations one[2])

[2] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReviewChecklist

We can't really assume a common culture anymore, so documenting shared
understandings in our community is a critical step in maintaining
cohesion in our virtual and global community. This is a space we need to
work on in the near future -- thanks for raising that thread and
reminding us we need to up our game there.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)