[openstack-dev] [Trove] Should we stop using wsgi-intercept, now that it imports from mechanize? this is really bad!

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Jul 27 07:33:24 UTC 2014

On 07/27/2014 12:22 AM, Denis Makogon wrote:
> суббота, 26 июля 2014 г. пользователь Thomas Goirand написал:
>     At this point, I gave-up with mechanize. But then, this makes me wonder:
>     can we continue to use wsgi-intercept if it depends on such a bad Python
>     module.
>
>     If we are to stick to an older version of wsgi-intercept (which I do not
>     recommend, for maintainability reasons), could someone help me to fix
>     the Python 3.4 issue I'm having with wsgi-intercept? Removing Python 3
>     support would be sad... :(
>
>     Your thoughts?
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Thomas Goirand (zigo)
>
> This actually is good question. WSGI framework was deprecate at
> IceHouse release(as I can recall). So, Trove should migrate to Pecan
> ReST framework as soon as possible during Kilo release.
> So, for now, the short answer - it's impossible to fix Trove to be
> ready for Py3.4 unfortunately.
>

> Best regards,
> Denis Makogon

Hi,

I don't think you get it. The question isn't to "fix Trove to be
ready for Py3.4", we're very far from that. The question is: how can I
maintain the python-wsgi-intercept package in Debian, when it now
depends on a very bad package in the newer version that I need to
upgrade to. And how can I continue to have it work in Debian Jessie for
the soon-to-come freeze deadline of the 5th of November. So I'm more
concerned by Icehouse right now, and not even remotely thinking about
the K release.

Worst case: I'd have to get rid of both wsgi-intercept and a large
amount of unit tests in Trove from Icehouse. I'd like to avoid doing
that if possible... And the way to fix that could be to just fix the
Python 3.4 support in python-wsgi-intercept without upgrading to the
last upstream release, or convince upstream to not use mechanize and
release a new version.

Thoughts anyone?
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)