[openstack-dev] [neutron] [not-only-neutron] How to Contribute upstream in OpenStack Neutron

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Sat Jul 26 18:02:15 UTC 2014

On 25 July 2014 20:05, Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org> wrote:

> Indeed, communication is key. I'm not sure how you envision to
> implement this though. We do send a message to first time
> contributors[1] to explain them how the review process works and give
> them very basic suggestions on how to react to comments (including what
> to do if things seem stuck). The main issue here though is that few
> people read emails, it's a basic fact of life.

That welcome message does seem to do a really good job of setting
expectations.

Can you explain more what you have in mind?

Here are some other topics that seem to take some time to develop a mental
model of:

How quickly and how often should you revise your patchset after a -1? (Is
it better to give the community a week or so to collectively comment? Or
should you revise ASAP after every negative review?)

How do you know if your change is likely to merge? (If you have had 15
rounds of -1 votes and the last milestone deadline is a few days away,
should you relax because your code is so thoroughly reviewed or should you
despair because it should have been merged by now?)

In the final days before a merge deadline, would it be rude to "poke" the
person responsible for merging, or would it be negligent not to?

How do you decide which IRC meetings to attend? (For meetings that occur at
difficult times outside of working hours in your timezone, when are you
expected to attend them? Is it okay to focus on email/informal
communication if that suits you better and gets the job done?)

If you're new to the project and you don't know anybody, who can you ask
about this stuff?