[openstack-dev] ova support in glance

Mark Washenberger mark.washenberger at markwash.net
Sat Jul 26 14:19:02 UTC 2014

Thanks for sending out this message Malini.

I'm really pleased that the "image import" mechanism we've been working on
in Glance for a while is going to be helpful for supporting this kind of
use case.

The problem that I see is one of messaging. If we tell end users that
"OpenStack can import and run OVAs" I think we're probably setting
ourselves up for a serious problem with expectations. Since an OVA is *not*
an image, and actually could be much broader in scope or more constrained,
I'm worried that this import will fail for most users most of the time.
This just creates a negative impression of our cloud, and may cause a
significant support headache for some of our deployers.

The plan I propose to respond to this challenge is as follows:

1) develop the initial OVA image import out of tree
    - the basic functionality is just to grab the root disk out of the ova
and to set image properties based on some of the ovf metadata
2) assess what the median level of OVA complexity is out there in the wild
among OVA users
3) make sufficient progress with artifacts to ensure we can cover the
median level of OVA complexity in an OpenStack accessible way
    - openstack accessible to me means there probably has to be qemu-image
/ libvirt / heat support for a given OVA concept
4) Bring OVA import into the main tree as part of the "General Import" [1]
operation once that artifact progress has been made

However, I'm very interested to know if there are some folks more embedded
with operators and deployers who can reassure me that this OVA messaging
problem can be dealt with another way.

Thanks!

[1] As a reminder, the "General Import" item on our hazy future backlog is
different from "Image Import" in the following way. For an image import,
you are explicitly trying to create an image. For the general import, you
show up to the cloud with some information and just ask for it to be
imported, the import task itself will inspect the data you provide to
determine what, if anything, can be created for it. This works well for
OVAs because we may want to produce a disk image, a block device mapping
artifact, or even up to the level of a heat template.