[openstack-dev] Thoughts on the patch test failure rate and moving forward

David Kranz dkranz at redhat.com
Fri Jul 25 14:32:45 UTC 2014

On 07/25/2014 10:01 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 02:39:47PM -0700, James E. Blair wrote:
> <snip>
>>    * Put the burden for a bunch of these tests back on the projects as
>>      "functional" tests. Basically a custom devstack environment that a
>>      project can create with a set of services that they minimally need
>>      to do their job. These functional tests will live in the project
>>      tree, not in Tempest, so can be atomically landed as part of the
>>      project normal development process.
> +1 - FWIW I don't think the current process where we require tempest
> cores to review our project test cases is working well, so allowing
> projects to own their own tests will be a major improvement.
++
We will still need some way to make sure it is difficult to break api
compatibility by submitting a change to both code and its tests, which
currently requires a "tempest two-step". Also, tempest will still need
to retain integration testing of apis that use apis from other projects.

> In terms of how this works in practice, will the in-tree tests still be run
> via tempest, e.g will there be a (relatively) stable tempest api we can
> develop the tests against, as Angus has already mentioned?
That is a really good question. I hope the answer is that they can still
be run  by tempest, but don't have to be. I tried to address this in a
message within the last hour
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-July/041244.html

  -David