[openstack-dev] [neutron] [not-only-neutron] How to Contribute upstream in OpenStack Neutron

Luke Gorrie luke at snabb.co
Fri Jul 25 08:25:16 UTC 2014

On 24 July 2014 17:09, Kyle Mestery <mestery at mestery.com> wrote:

> I've received a lot of emails lately, mostly private, from people who
> feel they are being left out of the Neutron process. I'm unsure if
> other projects have people who feel this way, thus the uniquely worded
> subject above. I wanted to broadly address these concerns with this
> email.

I have one idea for low-hanging fruit to put new contributors more at ease:
to explain a little about both when and why the "Merge" button is finally
pressed on a change.

I mean so that new contributors won't have doubts like "is it bad that my
change isn't merged yet?", "am I being too meek?", "am I being too pushy?",
"have I missed a step somewhere?", "how often should I skip dinner with my
family to attend more/different IRC meetings?", and so on.

I have had a good experience with this but that is many thanks to friendly
people giving me informal feedback and reassurance outside of the Gerrit
workflow and official docs.

Cheers,
-Luke