[openstack-dev] [third-party] - rebasing patches for CI

Kevin Benton blak111 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 23:15:59 UTC 2014

Cherry-picking onto the target branch requires an extra step and custom
code that I wanted to avoid.
Right now I can just pass the gerrit ref into devstack's local.conf as the
branch and everything works.
 If there was a way to get that Zuul ref, I could just use that instead and
no new code would be required.

Is exposing that ref in a known format/location something the infra team
might consider?

Thanks

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:

> On 2014-07-21 11:36:43 -0700 (-0700), Kevin Benton wrote:
> > I see. So then back to my other question, is it possible to get
> > access to the same branch that is being passed to the OpenStack CI
> > devstack tests?
> >
> > For example, in the console output I can see it uses a ref
> > like refs/zuul/ master/Z75ac747d605b4eb28d4add7fa5b99890.[1] Is
> > that visible somewhere (other than the logs of course) could be
> > used in a third-party system?
>
> Right now, no. It's information passed from Zuul to a Jenkins master
> via Gearman, but as far as I know is currently only discoverable
> within the logs and the job parameters displayed in Jenkins. There
> has been some discussion in the past of Zuul providing some more
> detailed information to third-party systems (perhaps the capability
> to add them as additional Gearman workers) but that has never been
> fully fleshed out.
>
> For the case of independent pipelines (which is all I would expect a
> third-party CI to have any interest in running for the purpose of
> testing a proposed change) it should be entirely sufficient to
> cherry-pick a patch/series from our Gerrit onto the target branch.
> Only _dependent_ pipelines currently make use of Zuul's capability
> to provide a common ref representing a set of different changes
> across multiple projects, since independent pipelines will only ever
> have an available ZUUL_REF on a single project (the same project for
> which the change is being proposed).
> --
> Jeremy Stanley

Kevin Benton