[openstack-dev] [heat]Heat Db Model updates

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Thu Jul 24 19:09:39 UTC 2014

On 17/07/14 07:51, Ryan Brown wrote:
> On 07/17/2014 03:33 AM, Steven Hardy wrote:

>>> +1

>>> -0. I don't see any benefit here.
>>
>> Agreed
>

> I'd actually be in favor of the change from rsrc->resource, I feel like
> rsrc is a pretty opaque abbreviation.

I'd just like to remind everyone that these changes are not free.
Database migrations are a pain to manage, and every new one slows down
our unit tests.

We now support multiple heat-engines connected to the same database and
people want to upgrade their installations, so that means we have to be
able to handle different versions talking to the same database. Unless
somebody has a bright idea I haven't thought of, I assume that means
carrying code to handle both versions for 6 months before actually being
able to implement the migration. Or are we saying that you have to
completely shut down all instances of Heat to do an upgrade?

The name of the "nova_instance" column is so egregiously misleading that
it's probably worth the pain. Using an enumeration for the states will
save a lot of space in the database (though it would be a much more
obvious win if we were querying on those columns). Changing a random
prefix that was added to avoid a namespace conflict to a slightly
different random prefix is well below the cost-benefit line IMO.

cheers,
Zane.