[openstack-dev] [oslo.cfg] Dynamically load in options/groups values from the configuration files

Yuriy Taraday yorik.sar at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 17:58:29 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2014, at 11:10 PM, Baohua Yang <yangbaohua at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, all
>      The current oslo.cfg module provides an easy way to load name known
> options/groups from he configuration files.
>       I am wondering if there's a possible solution to dynamically load
> them?
>
>       For example, I do not know the group names (section name in the
> configuration file), but we read the configuration file and detect the
> definitions inside it.
>
> #Configuration file:
> [group1]
> key1 = value1
> key2 = value2
>
>        Then I want to automatically load the group1. key1 and group2.
> key2, without knowing the name of group1 first.
>

> If you don’t know the group name, how would you know where to look in the
> parsed configuration for the resulting options?

I can imagine something like this:
1. iterate over undefined groups in config;
2. select groups of interest (e.g. by prefix or some regular expression);
3. register options in them;
4. use those options.

Registered group can be passed to a plugin/library that would register its
options in it.

So the only thing that oslo.config lacks in its interface here is some way
to allow the first step. The rest can be overcomed with some sugar.

--

Kind regards, Yuriy.