[openstack-dev] [neutron] [not-only-neutron] How to Contribute upstream in OpenStack Neutron

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Thu Jul 24 16:26:59 UTC 2014

On 07/24/2014 11:50 AM, Alan Kavanagh wrote:
> Hi Kyle
>
> Thanks for taking the time for writing this note also I know this is not an easy discussion and not something being a matter of "waving hands or fingers". I believe what you have stated is well understood, though the main points I raised seems to be missing from this Neutron Policies wiki (interested to see if other projects have addressed and document this) such as (1) How to address when a contribution gets punted, (2) how to address BP's that are not progressing, (3)how to ensure that in the even a given BP/patch/etc gets no reviews how to address these. I feel this is around the Governance than just about the procedures and processes.

Hi Alan,

Let me add some thoughts here.

The listed items mostly boil down to communication.
Are those contributors with punted contributions in IRC channels? Do the
attend the program weekly meeting? Many punted contributions, be they
patches or blueprints, have the status they do because noone can find
who the owners of these contributions are to ask them to fill in the
gaps so reviewers even know what is being proposed.

Now if folks don't know what channels to use or how to use IRC then that
is an issue the we need to address, but having people available so
reviewers can ask them about their offerings is a great first step and
no I personally don't think that this is a governance issue.

If you want to find out what items are governance issues, do attend the
TC weekly meeting:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/TechnicalCommittee and be
sure to read the logs of past meetings:
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/

> Also, having more Core reviewers from different companies would also go a long way to helping to ensure that the different views and expectations are addressed community wide. I agree on the need to groom core reviewers, I guess what I miss here is the time it takes and how large would the Core Team grow, are their limits?

I agree that having diversity in core reviewers is very important. Core
reviewers are those reviewers that have put in the time to do the
reviews to demonstrate their commitment to the program. They also have
enough experience with the program to gain the trust of other core
reviewers. How long it takes is based on the individual reviewer. As for
how large the team can grow, it is based on how many people want to do
the work that it takes to gain that knowledge and experience.

In short, it is up to the potential core reviewer.

Thanks Alan,
Anita.