[openstack-dev] OpenStack Instance OS Support

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Thu Jul 24 14:50:47 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ihar Hrachyshka" <ihrachys at redhat.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> On 24/07/14 04:22, Quang Long wrote:
> > Hi guys, I have a question, if we use OpenStack Havana using
> > QEMU/KVM Hypervisor and based on Ubuntu 12.04 OS, what OS for
> > instance can we use when lauch?
> >
> > I found a link related to this issue, for refrence?
> > http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Guest_Support_Status#Windows_Family
> >
> > But with Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform, I realize
> > less OS supported
> > https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_OpenStack_Platform/4/html/Installation_and_Configuration_Guide/Supported_Virtual_Machine_Operating_Systems.html
> >

> I think the difference is more about which systems are considered by
> Red Hat worth being supported with their support service. KVM may
> still run other systems, it's just that support provided by Red Hat
> may be limited on platforms that haven't got the official status.

Indeed, the operating systems listed in the RHELOSP documentation are those that were explicitly tested with the versions of KVM shipped in RHEL and RHELOSP. It is likely (and expected) that many other guests will function just fine as reflected in the user submissions on the KVM site. If you run into any bugs with running your guests on KVM then please report them even if they are not formally supported per the RHELOSP list!

NB: In future please direct user queries to the openstack at lists.openstack.org list. This list is intended for development discussion.

Steve Gordon, RHCE
Sr. Technical Product Manager,
Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform