[openstack-dev] [swift] Use FQDN in Ring files instead of "ip"

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Thu Jul 24 05:15:53 UTC 2014

Oh I totally agree with what you are saying. A DNS change may be lower cost than running Swift config/management commands. At the very least, ops already know how to do DNS updates, regardless of it's "cost", where they have to learn how to do Swift management.

I was simply adding clarity to the trickiness of the situation. As I said originally, it's a balance of offering a feature that has a known cost (DNS lookups in a large cluster) vs not offering it and potentially making some management more difficult. I don't think either solution is all that great, but in the absence of a decision, we've so-far defaulted to "less code has less bugs" and not yet written or merged it.

--John