[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Specs approved for Juno-3 and exceptions

Alan Kavanagh alan.kavanagh at ericsson.com
Wed Jul 23 22:28:02 UTC 2014

I find it really hard to comprehend the level of transparency here, or lack thereof. It seems to me that when we want to get features into a given release we are at the mercy of others and while I do understand that the core team cant approve and review everything we also can not wait for another release or another release for features that would be of importance for Openstack in general. Its very discouraging for other members of the community to have certain features which are important for them but maybe not for others being demoted and pushed further out.

Also, having a core set of people vote on what is essential for one release to the next to me is not very transparent and not very democratic way of working, it supports only those who want to guide the community one way.
While I do see a need for ensuring priority, setting of priority to me is again not transparent imho. Also, having folks comment really late on BP's that have been progressing and folks working hard to progress them only for at the "last minute to get it demoted and then moved to another track" I find this not a nice way to work in the community, politics are a way of life but if they are going to be used as the rule for Openstack and its releases and a way for others to govern within the community I find this really disappointing.

If we have more work being put on the table, then more Core members would definitely go a long way with assisting this, we cant wait for folks to be reviewing stuff as an excuse to not get features landed in a given release.

I know this will strike a cord with some, but I see too much going on that makes me very disappointed so I hope by reaching out others will take note to help us improve this process, perhaps this is something the Openstack Board can take note of and jump in and try and resolve.

Alan