[openstack-dev] [Murano] [Glance] Image tagging

Ruslan Kamaldinov rkamaldinov at mirantis.com
Wed Jul 23 21:46:48 UTC 2014

I was going to refer to Graffiti as a longer term plan for image
tagging. This initiative seems to be like a really good fit for our
image tagging use-cases.
For a short-term solutions proposed by Steve I have a couple of comments:

> 1)      Store allowed tags in the database, and allow administrators to add
> to that list. Ordinary users would likely not be able to create tags, though
> they could use pre-defined ones for images they owned.
In some cases users might upload their own packages and they would
likely need to mark some images as compatible with those specific
packages. But I think there is a solution. Each time a new package is
uploaded, Murano could create a tag with the same name (or fqn). That
could help users to to tag package-specific images.

> 2)      Have some public tags, but also allow user-specified tags for
> private packages. I think this leads to all sorts of tricky edge cases
Agree, edge cases will bring a lot of unnecessary complexity.

> 3)      Allow freeform tags (i.e. don’t provide any hints). Since there’s no
> formal link between the tag that a package looks for and the tags currently
> defined in code, this wouldn’t make anything more susceptible to
> inaccuracies

In general, I tend to agree that option 1 (with a slight modification)
is a good fit for a short-term solution.

Thanks,
Ruslan