[openstack-dev] Mentor program?

Tim Freund tim at freunds.net
Wed Jul 23 18:29:53 UTC 2014

On 07/23/2014 02:16 PM, Cindy Pallares wrote:

> On 07/23/2014 01:02 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 12:29 PM, Joshua Harlow <harlowja at outlook.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I was reading over a IMHO insightful hacker news thread last night:
>>>
>>> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8068547
>>>
>>> Labeled/titled: 'I made a patch for Mozilla, and you can do it too'
>>>
>>> It made me wonder what kind of mentoring support are we as a community
>>> offering to newbies (a random google search for 'openstack mentoring' shows
>>> mentors for GSoC, mentors for interns, outreach for women... but no mention
>>> of mentors as a way for everyone to get involved)?
>>>
>>> Looking at the comments in that hacker news thread, the article itself it
>>> seems like mentoring is stressed over and over as the way to get involved.
>>>
>>> Has there been ongoing efforts to establish such a program (I know there
>>> is training work that has been worked on, but that's not exactly the same).
>>>
>>> Thoughts, comments...?
>>>
>> I'll let Stefano answer further, but yes, we've discussed a centralized
>> mentoring program for a year or so. I'm not sure we have enough mentors
>> available, there are certainly plenty of people seeking and needing
>> mentoring. So he can elaborate more on our current thinking of how we'd
>> overcome the imbalance and get more centralized coordination in this area.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anne
>>
> Mozilla also has "mentored bugs" system which provide a mentor who
> commits to helping a newbie get a single bug fixed. It would be nice to
> have that in OpenStack. It would also be a great way for people to get
> their feet wet in mentoring or who don't want to commit themselves too
> much.

I was a student in the OpenStack Upstream Training training that took
place before the Atlanta Summit.  The training was great, but the weekly
mentoring afterward really made the experience worth while.  Students
selected bugs before the class, learned about the contribution process
during the class, and then met weekly with a mentor until their
contribution was merged.

Thanks,

Tim

--