[openstack-dev] [nova] Configuring libivrt VIF driver

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Wed Jul 23 17:09:37 UTC 2014

> I don't see an issue with allowing people to configure 3rd party impl
> for the VIF driver, provided we don't claim that the VIF driver API
> contract is stable, same way we don't claim virt driver API is stable.
> It lets users have a solution to enable custom NIC functionality while
> waiting for Nova to officially support it. If we did remove it, then
> users could still subclass the main libvirt driver class and make
> it use their custom VIF driver, so they'd get to the same place just
> with an extra inconvenient hoop to jump through. So is it worth removing
> vif_driver ?

In my opinion, we should (continue to) remove any of those plug points
that we don't want to actually support as plugin interfaces. The virt
driver plug point at least serves to allow us to develop and test
drivers outside of the tree (ironic and docker, for example) before
merging. The vif_driver (and others) imply that it's a plugin interface,
when we have no intention of making it one, and I think we should nuke them.

--Dan