[openstack-dev] Support for Django 1.7 in OpenStack

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jul 23 10:56:51 UTC 2014

Hi,

The Debian maintainer of python-django would like to upgrade to version
1.7. He asked, in multiple bug reports, to check for Django 1.7
compatibility. I have the following python modules and bug reports:

https://bugs.debian.org/755613 python-django-appconf
https://bugs.debian.org/755622 python-django-compressor
https://bugs.debian.org/755628 python-django-pyscss
https://bugs.debian.org/755641 python-django-discover-runner
https://bugs.debian.org/755646 python-django-openstack-auth
https://bugs.debian.org/755651 horizon
https://bugs.debian.org/755654 tuskar-ui
https://bugs.debian.org/755656 python-django-bootstrap-form

First, does anyone know if Django 1.7 is an issue with any of the above
packages? If there are effectively issues, is there currently any plan
to fix it?

Ideally, I would like all of the above packages to be able to run with
Django 1.7 in Icehouse. I don't expect upstream OpenStack to actually do
the backporting to Icehouse, but if it gets in trunk, I'd be happy to do
the work for backporting.

If it's considered a bad idea to fix Django 1.7 compatibility in
stable/icehouse, then I don't mind keeping the patches as Debian
specific. However, I will *not* have the time to either investigate the
issue, or do the work (I'm busy enough with packaging all of OpenStack
and its dependencies in Debian). Also, I don't think I have enough
expertise myself to work on this: just "testing" wouldn't be enough,
IMO, someone with an extensive Django experience needs to work on this.

So, I NEED HELP HERE! :)
Thoughts, comments, or whatever else is welcome! [1]

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

[1] but discussing how upgrading to Django 1.7 would be difficult isn't:
that's counter productive, not going forward, and not solving any problem.